Microsoft Certified Drivers For Windows
This page covers the most common ways to resolve a non-functioning laptop touchpad. If you cannot resolve the issue for your laptop’s touchpad after trying the solutions on this page, the touchpad is probably not working due to a less common cause. In this case, we recommend taking the laptop to a computer repair shop for further analysis. This post was originally published in January 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
If your touchpad is disabled on the logon screen in Windows 10, fix the issue quickly by following the simple steps in this guide. If your touchpad is getting disabled frequently, be sure that you’re not disabling it by using this key. Alternatively, you can try to enable it by pressing this key. Many users reported that this solution fixed their problem so be sure to try it out. Close Task Manager and go back to the System Configuration window.
Most laptop manufacturers design a killswitch for the touchpad in order to avoid accidental misclicks. Simply make sure you didn’t press that key by mistake. Keep in mind that this option might not be available.
How do you manually install a driver?
Driver Scape 1. Go to Control Panel and open Device Manager.
2. Find the device that your are trying to install a driver.
3. Right click the device and select properties.
4. Select Driver tab, then click the Update Driver button.
5. Choose Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all. Press Windows Logo and killer wireless 1535 driver X keys on your keyboard.
- You can also update drivers through the device’s company website.
- For example, if you have an NVIDIA graphics card installed, you can update the driver for the card via NVIDIA’s official website.
- The latest versions of these drivers are also available or download from the manufacturer’s website.
- Windows includes built-in drivers and automatically downloads new ones to make setup easier, but device manufacturers also provide their own driver packages.
- If you build your own desktop PC, you’ll find hardware drivers for each component on each manufacturer’s website.
- Hardware drivers are the software that allow your operating system to communicate with your hardware.
If not, you’ll need to uninstall the driver and try using the default driver instead. Now locate the Tapping section and make sure that you disable Double tap to enable or disable touchpad option. Select your touchpad from the list and click on the Settings button.
This issue can affect almost any touchpad and not just Synaptics touchpads. Touchpad disabled automaticallyMany users reported that their touchpad becomes disabled automatically.
What drivers do I need to update?
Updating your computer’s drivers and other updates can resolve problems, improve the performance, and increase the stability of your computer.BIOS updates.
CD or DVD drive drivers and firmware.
Motherboard drivers, firmware, and updates.
Synaptics touchpad not working, has stopped workingAccording to users, it seems that Synaptics touchpad suddenly stopped working. Synaptics touchpad disables itselfIn some cases, Synaptics touchpad can disable itself for an unknown reason.
If your laptop has this feature, press the button or keys to turn the touchpad on and off a few times. The first thing to check is whether the computer and the operating system is not responding as well. It could be that the computer is frozen, meaning it is not responding to any commands you give it. In this case, the touchpad would also not be working.